Sunday, September 4, 2011

Spicy Shrimp in Green Sauce


I was recently craving spice. I'm not supposed to be over spiced, my ulcer diet demands the opposite (I'm terrible at the ulcer diet...).  When we cleaned out my mothers pantry and freezer before she left town we got a few bags of shrimp, so I set out to find the perfect spicy shrimp recipe. I had made that amazing olive bread that day, so I knew I wanted something brothy to dip the bread in. In my trusty New York Times cookbook I found the perfect thing! Spicy Shrimp in Green Sauce. It was perfecto. Garlic-y (I adore garlic), spicy, brothy...all you need to add is a fresh bread and ice cold beer and you have a perfect meal! Enjoy before the summer is gone....

Garlic!

Blender party...

Shrimp!

Parsely!

Scallions!

Blender Party 2.0...The green players!


Toss with your shrimp...

Scorch that in your oven at 500 degrees and get...


Add crusty bread and ice cold beer! Voila!


Spicy Shrimp in Green Sauce
From The Essential New York Times Cook Book, March 5, 2003: "The Minimalist: Too Much Garlic? Impossible" by Mark Bitmman

You'll need...
6 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
6 scallions, chopped
1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves and thin stems
2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled, deveined if desired
Salt and fresh pepper
4 dried chiles crushed OR a few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes
1/3 cup broth (shrimp, fish or chicken)
Splash of dry white wine

Heat the oven to 500 degrees. Combine garlic and oil in food processor and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add the scallions and parsley and pulse until minced. Toss with the shrimp, salt and pepper and chiles (or crushed red pepper). 
Put the shrimp in a large roasting pan, add the liquids (broth and wine). ROAST IT! Leave it in until the broth is hot and bubbly (mmm) and the shrimp are all pink, about 10-15 minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment