Monday, September 5, 2011

Cardamom-Lime Sweet Rolls


This has been an insanely long couple of weeks. I directed a major production, and we just struck this weekend. Today I woke up not really sure what to do with myself, but sure that I should find some way to be productive with all the parts of my life I have been ignoring for weeks. I did a few things, paid some bills, finally filled out a jury questionnaire that was going to have the government knocking on my door soon if I kept ignoring it...but I was still staring at the walls of my apartment feeling ever so slightly lost. Then I decided I was going to take one day for me, just me. Chako had to work today, reflooring and painting the building where he is the technical director. I was debating going to help him do some painting (I could use some money which I would've been paid for the physical labor), but I decided I deserved this one day. So I made buns. Or sweet rolls, as they are technically called, but I prefer to say BUNS. Warm, soft, round little buns!

I have been looking for the chance to make cinnamon buns, but then I was browsing the Cooking Light website and found this amazing idea, Cardamom-Lime Sweet Rolls! They are tangy and sweet and tart and sugary, little zesty buns perfect for an end of summer breakfast (or dessert...or lunch...).


Gather some ingredients...a flour party included...


Make dough!

 Signs...

Knead and round

Zest!

Shaved limes!

Filling

Roll it out..

 Slather is with melted butter! 

Spread

Roll

Roll

Let rise, little bun city! I played with sizes...

Bake those bitches!

 Dig in! Happy days!

I'm eating another one (or several) now. A special gift to myself. You probably deserve one, do it!!

Cardamom-Lime Sweet Rolls
Adapted from Cooking Lighting (website), Jackie Mills, January 2008

You'll Need...

Dough
1 package dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsps)
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp salt
1 large egg or egg white, beaten
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour 
Cooking spray

Filling
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp grated lime rind
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter, melted

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tbsp fresh lime juice

Make some dough! First dissolve your yeast in the warm water, let sit for about 5 minutes, or until you are ready to use it. 

In a large bowl, combine sour cream, granulated sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract, salt and egg until well blended. Gradually stir in yeast mixture. Add 2 1/3 cups of flour into the mixture, forming a soft dough. 

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead, using remaining flour to keep the dough from sticking, add about 1 tbsp at a time as you go. Knead about 8 minutes, until elastic and smooth. Place the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray (flip your dough around to get it coated in the spray), cover and let rise in a warm spot until it doubles in size, about an hour.

Make filling!! Combine brown sugar, rind, cardamom and cinnamon (add more cinnamon if you want...). Divide into two equal portions.

When the dough is ready, divide it in two parts. Roll out the first half into a 12x10 inch rectangle. Brush with 1 tbsp of the melted butter, and sprinkle with half of your filling. Starting with the long side, roll it up, pinching the seam but not the ends. Cut the roll into 1 inch slices. Place slices, cut sides up, in a baking pan coating with cooking spray. Repeat with the other half of dough and filling. Cover and let rise for about a half hour, or until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Uncover and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes in tray.

Make glaze! Combine the powdered sugar and lime juice until smooth and, well, glaze like. Drizzle the glaze over warm rolls. Enjoy with ice cold milk!


Side note! Post script! Special treat! Our kitten Bean got spayed last week while we were in our run. Poor Beaner! She has a cone! She is a cone cat! She has to wear it for two weeks and get meds and stuff and she's kind of pathetic. She keeps walking into things and getting stuck. She's very happy I am home today to fawn over her. So for you, a CONE CAT PICTURE!!









No comments:

Post a Comment