Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Olive Bread


I did it!! I made bread! From top to bottom I made it! I've never made bread before, so this was a huge accomplishment. I was dancing around my kitchen, called Chako at work, sent phone pictures to everyone. It's so yummy! I researched all last night, like a tool. Read about how to make yeast rise best, different types of bread I could make. I decided on an olive bread. I found several recipes, committed them all to memory, and set out on my own...stupid, you ask?? Maybe. I like to think AMBITIOUS!!!

I used yummy, delicious black olives, but you could probably use whatever you'd like!

I KNEADED DOUGH!

Kneaded like four times, let rise and knead again...then spread out on a corn starch dusted baking sheet...


And got this!! 


So delicious! Crunchy on the outside, chewy and soft on the inside. Next time I want to work on shaping the bread to my taller and more loaf like and for the olive variety I think I'd like to add rosemary. I MADE BREAD!!!!!

Olive Bread


You'll need...
3 cups of bread flour
3/4 cups of chopped black olives
2 tsp of active dry yeast
2 tbsp white sugar
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp GOOD virgin olive oil
1 1/4 cups of warm water
corn starch

Mix together olives, flour, yeast, sugar, salt, oil and water. Turn your dough onto a floured surface, knead for about 10 minutes, then leave to rise for about 45 minutes. Knead again for 5-10 minutes, then let rise for about 30 minutes (or until double in size). Transfer your dough to a bowl lined with a towel that is very well floured. Allow to rise once more, till it doubles in size. Meanwhile, put a pan of water in an oven preheated to 500 degrees. Turn your dough onto a well oiled baking sheet, dusted with corn starch. Bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees, then lower heat to 350 and bake for another half hour or until  your bread is fully cooked through! EAT WARM WITH BUTTER AND BE SO HAPPY YOU DID IT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment