Saturday, August 6, 2011

Welcome! Have some Herbed Ricotta!


I made my own homemade ricotta...I can't even believe it. It's so freakin' good. Well first, I totally botched it, having no idea about anything of cream to milk ratios, I tried to use way too much cream and ended up with this sour cream like milky stuff, not very ricotta-like at all. So I tried again, I was determined. After a full week of searching online for people's homemade cheese experiences and seeing how easily people make their own ricotta, I was determined to have great results. Second time around was a big winner. Creamy yet firm, with a fantastic flavor. I was thrilled. Literally jumping, ran to Chako's desk with dripping cheesecloth to show him.

Thus began my night of bruschetta. I tried a whole variety. Bruschetta with ricotta and raspberry balsamic vinegar drizzled on top, with different kinds of honey drizzled on top, with basil and parmesan, nothing doesn't go with fresh ricotta on crunchy toasted baguette slices.

The big winner of the night though, was a recipe borrowed from the incredible Shutterbean, Herbed Ricotta Bruschetta.  It's quick, easy, and absolutely decadent. If you don't want to make your own ricotta, you can just make this recipe with good quality ricotta that you buy at the store.

Herbed Ricotta Bruschetta


You'll need...
1 cup fresh ricotta
Olive oil (I tend to use a lot...)
3 tbsp minced scallions
2 tbsp dill (the original recipe calls for fresh, but my store was out, I used dry and it was great)
1 tbsp chopped chives
Salt & pepper
A baguette
A clove of garlic, cut in half

Combine your ricotta, scallions, dill, chives, and salt & pepper to taste in a bowl. Set aside.

Heat your grill, or pan or in my case, tiny electric counter grill. Cut your baguette into rounds, about 1/2 inch thick. Dip each side of the bread in the oil, then grill each sides until nice and crispy. Rub one side of the bruschetta with garlic, and spread your herbed ricotta on top. Garnish with a sprig of fresh dill or a sprinkle of dried (like me!). Enjoy. Eat one before you bring the loot to others, or you might not get your fair share...



No comments:

Post a Comment