Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday Brunch: Eggs Benedict


I have always had to work on weekends. As far back as I can remember I have always either had rehearsal, or a restaurant shift, every Saturday and Sunday morning as far back as I can remember. I've always rushed out the door in the mornings with a cup of coffee and a granola bar. I can often sleep in on weekdays, but since Chako and everyone else heads off to work, I have no one to share my brunch adventures with, so I get lazy and eat cereal. 

For the first time in my life I have my weekends off...real, actual weekends!!  I've decided to enjoy the little things that this allows. I'm going to start a tradition of going to the farmers market on Saturdays, and cooking a special brunch on Sundays! Chako is very excited about said plan. 

Today I made eggs benedict, with toasted baguette and prosciutto. So tasty! I love prosciutto. Seriously. More then most things. A good fresh, salty, thin slice of prosciutto pairs deliciously with eggs and hollandaise sauce. As you can see above, even the Bean the kitten wanted a taste. 

This came out incredibly delicious, but didn't plate very well. I had two problems. My hollandaise had the perfect flavor but I didn't let it thicken quite enough and it didn't stick to the eggs as much as I would've liked, and I screwed up poaching the eggs. I know, I have a food blog, I should be able to poach an egg perfectly. I was trying something new!! Chako bought me this super cute heart shaped egg poacher and I decided to try it out. Unfortunately it didn't work quite as well as classic poaching. It gave me more of an over easy egg. Still delicious with every thing, but not as runny as I like or as attractive on top of the bread and prosciutto. I'll get it better next time, but it was absolutely DELICIOUS. Try and make it, send me a picture if it turns out prettier then mine!!

Two of my favorite things: Crunchy baguette and PROSCIUTTO!!!
 

Ingredients

Don't have a double boiler?? Me neither! Our kitchen is way too small to store one. IMPROVISE!

Toast up some bread...

Top with salty heavenly prosciutto!

Eggs...(mine look like eyes...failed poaching...)

Then top with your tasty hollandaise sauce...mmm.


Eggs Benedict with Baguette & Prosciutto

You'll Need...
2 eggs (for poaching)
Prosciutto
2 slices of baguette
Hollandaise Sauce (recipe to follow)

Toast your baguette, top with prosciutto, I piled it on! Poach you eggs, lay on top of the meat and drizzle with hollandaise sauce!

Hollandaise Sauce 

You'll Need..
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup of melted butter
1/4 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp of water
2 tbsp of lemon juice
Dash of cayenne pepper
Salt & pepper to taste
Double boiler (or a saucepan with a metal or pyrex bowl that sits on top of it )

Fill the bottom of your boiler with water so that it doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl on top. Bring the water to a calm simmer. In the bowl, whisk together the yolks, worcestershire sauce, water, lemon juice, and cayenne until combined. Slowly add the melted butter whisking continually until it's all incorporated. Keep whisking so that the egg doesn't cook and the butter doesn't curdle. You can add water the sauce is thickening too much. Keep warm until you serve it, try and serve immediately!





No comments:

Post a Comment