Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Granola


I have a dream. A dream to be great at making pretty presents for people. I want to put things in pretty mason jars with lovely scraps of fabric and have cool loopy handwriting to label them. 

This jar of granola is a step in the right direction.

People, I live in Manhattan. It is such a pain in the ass to lug supplies home! On the weekends I can't get myself out of the apartment to scour for pretty bottles and fabric and labels. So I make pretty food, but then Chako and I just eat it. Whoops.

This granola is super tasty and crunchy and rather healthy for coming out of our kitchen. It has a strong coconut presence, which gives me joy. 

I'm currently talking Chako through making pasta with jarred sauce. Literally step by step. I think I've ruined him.

Always a good start...wet and dry.

Mixed

Maybe your friend will bring you an awesome pot holder from GUAM!

Ready to be jarred...

 One for us and one for a friend!

Granola
Adapted from A Thought For Food

You'll Need...
4 cups rolled oats or steel cut oats (I used steel cut, since that's what I had!)
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
2 cups chopped mixed nuts (I used a mixture of almonds, walnuts, cashews, macadamia and brazil)
3/4 cups vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, toss the oats, coconut, and nuts together. In a separate smaller bowl, mix the vegetable oil and honey. Pour the wet over the dry and mix well with a wooden spoon. Spread the mixture into a baking pan (13x18, 1 inch recommended...), and bake, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes or until the mixture is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool, then mix in cranberries and enjoy! Store in an airtight container.



No comments:

Post a Comment