Monday, October 10, 2011

Creamy Mushroom Soup


I love dinner parties. I love having my dearest friends over and enjoying a great meal. Last night we had an impromptu dinner party with two of our best friends, Chloe and Sarah. I wanted some feel good food, and I  was awaiting having a very painful wisdom tooth pulled (which happened this morning, ouch), so in preparation I made a huge pot of creamy mushroom soup. I also made a huge batch of bruschetta with homemade ricotta, two kinds, one with honey and cracked pepper and another with truffle oil (my great love) and raspberry balsamic.

I say the soup is creamy mushroom rather then cream OF mushroom because I used triple the amount of mushrooms one would normally use to make a super creamy and ultra smooth cream of mushroom soup and was going for a more purely blended mushroom concoction, trying to imitate my favorite mushroom soup at this little tiny French cafe in the West Village, Cafe Henri. When I get the soup there it has the taste and consistency of just pure mushrooms...heaven. I think we got pretty close with this soup recipe!

 Today I am endlessly thankful I made this soup for I can eat it with my chipmunk face and numb left side of my mouth. Soup and well...ice cream...yea we live over a Baskin Robbins...yea Chako is a great boyfriend who's going to get me a sundae soon... :-)

Chloe wanted to be the photographer for this post, so to be clear, PHOTOS BY MADAME CHLOE K.

Lots of mushrooms!

Chopping chopping

Onions

Oh yea, more mushrooms

This recipe does not mess around, butter AND oil...

I love garlic

World of mushrooms

Don't forget to do a garlic rub when making bruschetta!

Add other yummy stuff and simmer away

Sarah thinks it smells yummy

Cream! Obviously.

Always bruschetta

Drizzle on some truffle oil and DELICIOUS


Creamy Mushroom Soup

You'll need...
3 pounds of mushrooms, I used baby bella and white buttons, would be great with some shitake as well..., all cleaned and coarsely chopped
4 tbsp unsalted butter
4 tbsp virgin olive oil
1/4 cup minced shallots or white onions
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Salt & Pepper
3/4 cup of white wine
5 tbsp flour
5 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of beef stock
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp sage
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream
Truffle oil for drizzling

Chop everything! Melt the butter with the oil in a large pot. Add the onions or shallots and cook until soft, then add the garlic. Cook about 1 minute then add ALL the mushrooms. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until they are soft and brown. Add the wine and cook until it's reduced, then sprinkle in the flour to coat. Add in the stocks, thyme, sage, and nutmeg. Let simmer for about 3-4 minutes. Slowly add in the cream. Let heat throw but don't boil! Using an immersion blender or working in batches with a regular blender, blend until your soup is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and drizzle with a little truffle oil.

3 comments:

  1. Good company and good food what more could you ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ACTUAL TRUE STORY: I was at Fig & Olive in LA this weekend and I had a soup that was nearly identical to your creamy mushroom soup, complete with drizzled truffle oil. So basically what I've concluded is that you're actually here, hiding in the kitchen at Fig & Olive and just waiting for the right moment to jump out and surprise me!!! And also that your culinary skills have reached awesome new heights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Elizabeth Kerin yup, I'm there, stalking you for some fat kid treats! when I visit you'll need to take me to Fig & Olive....

    ReplyDelete